What is water damage passport?

Passports with water damage can no longer be used and must be replaced. You must request a replacement of a damaged passport in person at an acceptance center or passport agency. In most cases, the United States considers a water-damaged passport to be significantly damaged, meaning that it is no longer a valid form of identification and must be replaced prior to international travel. There are several ways to apply for a new passport, depending on your location at the time of the water damage and the amount of time remaining before your next international trip.

Passports with water damage on the cover of the book or personal data page, as well as those with serious water damage anywhere in the passport book, must be returned to the United States Department of State for a new passport to be issued. You must also include a passport application. The State Department allows the use of passports with minimal watermarks, for example, a passport with a single drop of water on a page, because these passports are not considered damaged. Citizen with a water-damaged passport and who does not plan to travel abroad in the near future, can obtain a new passport by visiting a local passport acceptance center and completing Form DS-11 U.S.

Passport Application. In addition to the application, you must also submit the damaged passport, proof of citizenship, proof of identity, standard passport application fee and a single passport photo. In the photo, look at the camera directly with your full fall visible, a neutral expression, or a natural smile, and no hat, glasses, or other coverings that hide the full view of your face. If water damages your passport within two weeks of international travel, or within four weeks of travel, when a visa must be placed in the passport, the only way to obtain a passport in time for your trip is to apply in person to the nearest regional passport agency.

In addition to the above-mentioned requirements for a replacement passport, you must make an appointment at the nearest center and, in most cases, provide proof of your upcoming trip. In case your passport suffers water damage while you are out of the country, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate; they can issue a replacement passport. Before an international passport can be issued, you must also submit the standard application form DS-11 along with all supporting documentation, the water damaged passport, a Social Security number, and the DS-64 Declaration Regarding the Loss or Stolen of a Passport.

We can say that the passport is damaged by water if the biological data page is discolored. Individuals with substantial water damage anywhere in the passport book, such as a chemical or ink spill, must be returned to the U.S. Department of State to issue a new passport. If you place your passport on your desk or cabinet, there is a chance that your passport will be damaged, especially if your desk or cabinet is damaged by water.

However, how much wear and tear constitutes enough damage to render a passport useless? To travel abroad, it is essential to know when a damaged passport needs to be replaced. Water damage, a substantial tear, tears, broken or missing visa pages, and unapproved marks are further evidence of the damage. Other signs of damage include water damage, significant tear or tears, broken or missing visa pages, and unofficial markings. Now that you've learned to know if your passport is damaged by water, check your passport to determine if it has minor damage or if it needs to be replaced.